Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three summonsed to municipal court over Kem Ley funeral fund

Three summonsed to municipal court over Kem Ley funeral fund

Cambodian Youth Party President Pich Sros outside the Phnom Penh Muncipal Court, where he filed complaints against three activists for allegedly embezzling funds raised for slain political commentator Kem Ley’s stupa.
Cambodian Youth Party President Pich Sros outside the Phnom Penh Muncipal Court, where he filed complaints against three activists for allegedly embezzling funds raised for slain political commentator Kem Ley’s stupa. Photo supplied

Three summonsed to municipal court over Kem Ley funeral fund

Activist monk But Buntenh, media monitor Pa Nguon Teang and labour rights advocate Moeun Tola have each been summonsed to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for questioning related to alleged misappropriation of funds for the funeral of murdered political analyst Kem Ley.

The complaint against the three rights advocates was filed earlier this month by Pich Sros, the leader of the Cambodian Youth Party. He has contended that after leading a fundraising campaign, the trio siphoned off donations for Ley’s funeral.

The litigious party leader, who has denied allegations that he is operating at the behest of the ruling party, also filed a suit in June against opposition leader Kem Sokha, who has since been detained on unrelated charges.

Nguon Teang, who heads the Cambodian Centre for Independent Media, and Tola, the executive director of labour rights NGO Central, are scheduled to appear in court on October 9. Buntenh is expected to appear two days later.

Yesterday, legal expert Sok Sam Oeun said Sros had no authority to file a civil complaint because he was not directly impacted by the alleged violation. “

If it’s a criminal case then it is up to the prosecutor . . . For a civil case [Sros] is not qualified to make a complaint,” Sam Oeun said, adding that only Ley’s family or somebody personally affected by the alleged violation could file a complaint.

Buntenh and Nguon Teang could not be reached yesterday, while Tola declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor lifetime pass, special Siem Reap travel offers planned

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to introduce a convenient, single lifetime pass for foreign travellers to visit Angkor Archaeological Park and potentially other areas. The move is designed to stimulate tourism to the culturally rich province of Siem Reap as the start of the “Visit

  • Pailin longan winery tries to break through to the big time

    Longan aren’t quite as glamorous as some fruits. They don’t have the star-power of mangos or generate the excitement of a pricey seasonal niche fruit like the pungent durian. Unlike bananas or oranges, which are known and loved everywhere, longan remains a decidedly

  • ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ meet commences, Taiwan issue possibly on table

    The 55th ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM) and related meetings hosted by Cambodia kicks off in Phnom Penh on August 3, with progress, challenges, and the way forward for the ASEAN Community-building on the table. Issues on Taiwan, sparked by the visit of US House Speaker

  • Recap of this year’s ASEAN FM meet and look ahead

    This year’s edition of the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM) hosted by Cambodia comes against the backdrop of heightened global tensions and increasing rivalry between major powers that have been compared to the animosity of the Cold War era. The following is The Post’

  • Debt restructuring over, time to tackle rising NPL ratio

    The Cambodian banking system has just completed a 26-month debt restructuring exercise where scores of loan accounts were revised, classified and provisioned as the rate of non-performing loans inched up, sparking a slight credit risk unease Implemented in April 2020, the Covid-19 debt restructuring measures came

  • Koh Slaket studio resort brings culture with style

    Davitra (Cambodia) Co Ltd’s multi-million-dollar 13ha Koh Slaket studio-cum-resort just east of the capital was inaugurated in the first phase on August 6, providing national and international tourists with a new travel option and job opportunities for locals. The man-made cultural and scenic lakefront getaway