Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Timber baron vows to forgo the latest bidding

Timber baron vows to forgo the latest bidding

Logging tycoon Try Pheap speaks to the media at one of his plantations in Preah Vihear province last year.
Logging tycoon Try Pheap speaks to the media at one of his plantations in Preah Vihear province last year. Heng Chivoan

Timber baron vows to forgo the latest bidding

Timber tycoon Try Pheap announced yesterday that his company would sit out the auction of some of the 70,000 cubic metres of wood seized in anti-logging crackdowns this year.

“HE Oknha Try Pheap announces [his intention] not to join the bidding on wood that has been seized from [illegal] traders,” read a post on Pheap’s Facebook page.

Pheap could not be reached for further details yesterday, but was quoted in local media as saying that he wanted to avoid public criticism. He added that many violators falsely claim to be working for his company.

Pheap was issued licences to buy timber from the government in 2013 and 2014.

Staff at Pheap’s company declined to comment, and guards turned away a reporter from the main office.

Prime Minister Hun Sen said in March that he would end timber auctions and give this year’s haul to the Ministry of Education.

But this week, he seemingly went back on that promise, saying that at least some of the 70,000 cubic metres would be put up for auction because the Ministry of Education lacks the means to transport it all, and the timber would otherwise rot.

Bidding committee chief Deputy Prime Minister Bin Chhin could not be reached yesterday.

Tek Vannara, director of the NGO Forum, called for transparency during the bidding process, saying that previous auctions were opaque and facilitated the illicit export of timber.

Additional reporting by Igor Kossov

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not