Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Timber seized in three separate raids



Timber seized in three separate raids

Authorities stand in front of seized illegal timber last week in Kampong Speu province. Photo supplied
Authorities stand in front of seized illegal timber last week in Kampong Speu province. Photo supplied

Timber seized in three separate raids

Authorities seized more than 30 cubic metres of luxury timber and roughly 1,000 kilograms of illegal rosewood in separate raids in three provinces over the weekend.

Chea Hean, head of the Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organization, said he and Pursat environmental officials confiscated and burned 25 cubic metres of wood in a protected forest on Saturday.

Prak Sileng, leader of the patrol group, said “we found two production locations. One had been abandoned for a long time. We found the wood at the other location.”

Sileng explained that the wood was burned because it was too difficult to transport.

In a separate case, military police confiscated 1,200 kilograms of rosewood in Kampong Chhnang’s Teuk Phos district on Saturday night.

“The military police reported to the provincial prosecutor that they had confiscated the wood,” said Long Sitha, spokesman for the Kampong Chhang Provincial Court. “Now the Forestry Administration is working on the case”, he added.

Meanwhile, Kampong Speu authorities confiscated 12 cubic metres of luxury wood on Friday night that was being transported to Vietnam, according to court spokesman In Sovanthany.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.