Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Timber seizure nabs 30-plus cubic metres in Ratanakkiri

Timber seizure nabs 30-plus cubic metres in Ratanakkiri

People inspect a truck load of rosewood in Ratanakkiri earlier this week after it was seized by authorities.
People inspect a truck load of rosewood in Ratanakkiri earlier this week after it was seized by authorities. Photo supplied

Timber seizure nabs 30-plus cubic metres in Ratanakkiri

An estimated 30 to 40 cubic metres of protected luxury timber was intercepted in Ratanakkiri province on Wednesday night while being hauled to Vietnam, according to local officials.

Nouv Dara, director of Ratanakkiri’s anti-economic crime unit said that a truck loaded with thnong logs was intercepted near the O’Yadav international checkpoint, but was unable to provide further details about the origins of its drivers or contents.

Another customs official on the operation said that officers “halted the vehicle, but the driver managed to flee”, along with his accomplices. He added that the vehicle and timber were impounded at the Ratanakkiri provincial customs office.

However, Chhay Thy, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc who is monitoring the case, reported that the logs were impounded at the office, but that the vehicle had not been seen there.

“The timber was being transported from Mondulkiri to sell in Vietnam,” he said.

Kim Raksmey, provincial military police commander, said that the seized load had not yet been measured.

In a separate case, a 34-year-old man was charged on Wednesday for unlicensed collection of forestry products in Koh Kong province, after two cars transporting rosewood were intercepted in separate locations there.

The first vehicle contained 35 logs and the second 107, reported Kong Puthira, an official at the Ministry of Agriculture.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not