Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Titles distributed after land row finally ends




Titles distributed after land row finally ends

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Battambang provincial governor Nguon Ratanak oversaw the distribution of land titles on Tuesday following a 20-year-long land dispute between villagers and soldiers. Supplied

Titles distributed after land row finally ends

Battambang provincial governor Nguon Ratanak oversaw the distribution of land titles on Tuesday following a 20-year-long land dispute between villagers and soldiers.

Speaking during the distribution in Bavel district’s Prey Preal village on Tuesday, the governor said the disputed land was divided into 51 plots for the 48 families involved.

The dispute began in 1998, he said, with authorities at all levels and specialised officials striving to settle the disputes.

Last year, the villagers and soldiers made concessions to one another and their land titles were processed.

Unresolved cases

“Authorities at all levels have always collaborated and sought out ways to settle land disputes to alleviate our residents’ concerns and issues over land, and allow them to obtain land titles together,” Ratanak stressed.

Provincial deputy governor Soeum Bunrith, who is the head of the provincial land dispute resolution working group, declined to comment on Wednesday.

Yin Mengly, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, noted that land dispute cases in the province have declined since 2014-2015.

But some cases remain, Mengly said, citing three unresolved cases in Samlot district and others in Bavel district.

“I’ve observed that authorities merely seem to be waiting for orders from the top. Only when there are such orders do they do something about it.

“If there is no violence and residents remain silent, then the authorities will not look into finding a solution. This leaves disputes unsettled,” he said.

Land disputes have been an issue in the province since current governor Ratanak was the director of the provincial Department of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, said Mengly.

And they persist after his promotions to provincial deputy governor and then to governor, he said.

“I want provincial authorities to focus on solving land disputes for residents and not draw it out for too long. The more they delay, the more they have a hand in provoking residents’ suffering,” he stressed.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old