Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Toilet drive aimed at reducing disease, death

Toilet drive aimed at reducing disease, death

Toilet drive aimed at reducing disease, death

Nearly 10 million Cambodians and 2.6 billion people worldwide did not have access to a toilet on a daily basis, a World Toilet Organisation official said on Saturday.

Sum Sokun, program manager for the WTO, gathered to celebrate World Toilet Day with villagers in the Ponhea Leu district of Kandal province, where the organisation helped to instal 20 toilets.

He said about 40 per cent of the world’s population did not have access to adequate sanitation, and efforts were being made to change this through awareness and education.

“Children are literally dying,” Sum Sokun said.

“In the developing world, a child dies every 15 seconds from water-related diseases, and 2.2 million children under the age of five die from diarrhoea every year.”

It was common in developing countries for people to defecate and urinate in open spaces, including into rivers, fields, buckets and plastic bags and on roadsides, Sum Sokun said.

Open defecation and urination can contaminate water and lead to water-borne diseases such as diarrhoea, cholera and dysentery.

World Toilet Day began in November, 2001 as a way of urging goverments to prioritise sanitation for their people.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police