Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Top cop told to catch Bandith



Top cop told to catch Bandith

Top cop told to catch Bandith

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng sent a letter to the National Police last week asking it to step up its search for Chhouk Bandith, the former Bavet town governor convicted of shooting three garment workers at a factory protest last year.

Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak told the Post yesterday that Kheng had sent a letter to Neth Savoeun, the National Police chief, asking him to comply with a court verdict that in June sentenced Bandith to 18 months in prison for unintentional violence.

The former governor was absent during court proceedings in Svay Rieng province and has been at large since then.

“Now we are looking for Chhouk Bandith, and we will keep it secret if someone gives us the information about where he is,” Sopheak said.

Cambodian Center for Human Rights president Ou Virak said the fact police are being ordered to catch a convicted criminal “reflects the sad state of the Cambodian police”.

“It is an indication that Sar Kheng has the will to catch Chhouk Bandith, and at the same time, it would indicate that the National Police do not have the will to do their job,” he said.

Rights groups have repeatedly argued that unintentional violence was too light a charge, asserting that the shooting was a clear case of attempted murder, as Bandith fired directly into a crowd of thousands of workers seeking better pay.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through