Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Top Khmer lawyer agrees to take Scott



Top Khmer lawyer agrees to take Scott

Top Khmer lawyer agrees to take Scott

GAVIN Scott, the British doctor in T3 prison for more than three months on

a rape charge, has secured the services of a leading Cambodian lawyer to represent

him at his trial.

Dr Heng Vong Bunchhat - a member of Cambodia's Council of Jurists, former dean of

Phnom Penh's faculty of law and an adviser to both co-Prime Ministers - has agreed

to represent Scott.

Bunchhat is the second addition to Scott's defence team, after Cambodian Defenders

Project co-founder Joyce Bang agreed to take his case.

Bang said this week that she and Bunchhat would jointly represent Scott.

Oum Samuel, the Charto NGO's administrative manager who had previously been defending

Scott, was no longer involved.

She said Samuel had been given the opportunity to assist herself and Bunchhat but

had declined on the basis he was too busy with other work.

Bang said Bunchhat had agreed to take Scott's case out of concern that the doctor

was treated fairly by the justice system.

Meanwhile, Scott's trial - which had been tentatively set for October 3 - has been

delayed.

Bang said she had filed a motion to postpone it further "because the facts have

changed a lot and we need to prepare [the defence]."

A request would also be made for the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to reconsider its

previous declining of bail for Scott.

Meanwhile, an alleged accomplice of Scott's - who was charged following a complaint

against him relating to sexual violation of under-age boys - has reportedly escaped

after being arrested.

Sotunt Vitah, who is understood to be Scott's former cook and cleaner, was arrested

last week on an arrest warrant issued in June.

But he is said to have left from the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Sept 30 after

being left alone briefly.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration