Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tower installation to cease in Battambang

Tower installation to cease in Battambang

Tower installation to cease in Battambang

Authorities in Battambang province have ordered that the installation of a new telephone tower be halted, local officials said on Monday. The announcement comes after 58 families last week protested against the construction of the new tower, saying that it posed a health risk to surrounding communities. Chhay Sameth, director of the provincial Department of Posts and Telecommunications, said that the company installing the tower did not have official permission to do so. Chea Sangvar Malatey, a representative of the families who protested last Friday, said the group strongly opposed the tower. “We are looking out for their activity and we will protest again in case the authorities allow the telephone company to install it again,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police