Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Toxic’ rice wine kills five in Kratie



‘Toxic’ rice wine kills five in Kratie

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The victims are being treated at the provincial hospital. Supplied

‘Toxic’ rice wine kills five in Kratie

As of Sunday, the death toll from toxic rice wine consumption in Kratie province had increased to five. Forty others remain hospitalised, the provincial health department said.

Department director Chhneang Sovutha said the sale of rice wine had been banned in the province's Sambo district pending further investigation.

“At the moment, the victims are being treated while the authorities are probing the cause of death and have temporarily prohibited the sale of rice wine in this district,” he said.

Sovutha said the incident happened on October 18, a day after dozens of villagers joined a funeral in Koh Knhae commune and drank rice wine served by the host family at the reception.

He said the family bought the wine from a brewer in Boeung Cha commune.

He said after drinking the rice wine, the guests suddenly suffered fatigue, headaches and diarrhoea and felt dizzy before vomiting.

“Based on the patients' condition, the rice wine possibly contained an overly high methanol rate that could harm consumers and cause death if they drink too much of it,” he said.

Sambo district governor Soum Sarith said the authorities had also seized more than one hundred litres of rice wine and arrested a brewer after the incident.

“The brewer, Koch Sok Heng from Boeung Cha commune's Dok Por village has been detained for questioning after the victims allegedly consumed his rice wine and got poisoned.

“Five or six victims have died and 40 others are being treated in hospital,” Sarith said.

In May, toxic rice wine and water containing overly high chemical substances also killed 14 people and made dozens of others sick in the province's Kantuot commune, Chet Borey district.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants