Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Traffic accidents down, but officials not satisfied

Traffic accidents down, but officials not satisfied

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
There were 2,430 traffic accidents between January and September resulting in 1,257 deaths. Police

Traffic accidents down, but officials not satisfied

Interior Minister Sar Kheng credited the road traffic law for reducing accidents and deaths in the past nine months.

However, road safety organisation officials said praise is premature and the numbers haven’t dramatically changed.

There were 2,430 traffic accidents between January and September, said a National Police report issued over the weekend. There were 1,257 deaths and 3,663 injuries.

The report noted the numbers were down by 729 from the same period last year when there were 3,159 accidents – 23 per cent higher.

There were 1,521 fatalities in the first nine months of last year – 264 or 17.25 per cent higher. Injuries declined by 1,058 or 22.41 per cent.

Sar Kheng posted on his Facebook page that he is proud of the results of the road traffic law enforcement statistics.

“Based on this result, I admire the work of leaders and police officers at all levels of the General Commissariat of National Police, Unified Command Committee in Phnom Penh and provinces, who have attentively enforced road traffic laws night and day.

“I also thank drivers who respect traffic laws and helped contribute to a noticeable drop in accidents, deaths and injuries,” he said.

Institute for Road Safety director Kong Ratanak said he was happy about the decline in traffic accidents, but he is still concerned because the death toll remains high.

“On average, three to four people die per day due to traffic accidents. The numbers are still a lot,” Ratanak told The Post.

He encouraged officials to put more effort into their work and bring the injury and death numbers down.

“I believe the traffic issue is not only the responsibility of the government but all of us, especially those between the ages of 15 and 40. They have to respect the law,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Takeo hand-woven silk items provide local high-quality alternative to imports

    After graduating from university and beginning her career as a civil servant at the the Ministry of Economy and Finance, Khieu Sina found time to establish a business that aligns with her true passion – quality hand-woven Khmer goods. Her product line, known as Banteay Srei,

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • 11th Chaktomuk Short Film Festival draws to close

    Cambodia's 11th Chaktomuk Short Film Festival wrapped up successfully on November 28 after a four-day run, with the film “Voice of the Night” awarded top prize for 2022. Sum Sithen, the organiser of the short film festival, told The Post that the number of attendees to the