Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Traffic deaths up from last year, says ministry

Traffic deaths up from last year, says ministry

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ministry of Interior’s National Committee for Road Safety present a report on the Kingdom's traffic accidents on Tuesday in Phnom Penh. Photo supplied

Traffic deaths up from last year, says ministry

Nearly 1,500 people died from traffic accidents in the Kingdom during the first 10 months of this year, a minor increase over last year, though the number of injured fell significantly, according to a report by the Ministry of Interior’s National Committee for Road Safety released on Tuesday.

The report shows that there were a total of 1,469 fatalities, representing a 3 percent increase over the same period in 2016. A total of 4,530 people sustained injuries, marking an 18 percent decrease from last year.

Him Yan, deputy National Police chief and head of the road safety committee, said traffic accidents remained a “pressing problem”, and most involved motorbikes.

The total number of traffic accidents – 2,958 – was practically unchanged from last year, according to the report.

Speeding was the contributing factor to 36 percent of the traffic accidents, the report shows.

Ear Chariya, founder of the Road Safety Institute, said the increase in deaths showed that enforcement of the Traffic Law was still lacking and that people don’t yet fully understand it.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials