Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tragic moto crash kills two

Tragic moto crash kills two

Police remove a motorbike from the scene of a fatal accident that killed two people
Police remove a motorbike from the scene of a fatal accident that killed two people in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district yesterday. Hong Menea

Tragic moto crash kills two

A grisly traffic accident at a busy intersection claimed two lives yesterday morning when a large truck slammed into the back of a motorbike near the Monivong Bridge in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district, traffic
police said.

According to Traffic Police officer Sin Eung, victim Suon Nari, 30, was riding her motorbike with her mother, Mao Mach, 58, on the back, and her two sons, 5 and 3, in between. Just after crossing the bridge, Nari’s moto was hit from behind by a truck driven by Ouk Dara, 34, causing the two women’s heads to be dashed on the pavement, killing them at the scene.

The two young boys rolled under the truck, and escaped with only minor cuts and scrapes.

After striking the bike, the truck went on to collide with a parked car before coming to a stop.

“After checking the bodies of the two boys, we saw only scratches, and police handed them over to their granddad to clean their wounds at home, but the two bodies were sent by an ambulance to Sambour Meas pagoda for funeral rites,” Eung said.

During questioning, Dara blamed the accident on brake failure, but an inspection revealed no problems, Eung added. Dara was ultimately taken to the police station for further questioning.

Police officer Seng Borey, who owned the parked car that the truck hit, dismissed Dara’s explanation as an “excuse”.

“This is the city centre, and one should drive carefully, and it is necessary to slow down,” he said. “The suspect has to pay compensation to those of us who are victims.”

Fruit vendor Im Kang, who works at the intersection and witnessed the accident, said that she could remember at least 10 serious accidents at the eastern end of Monivong Bridge since the beginning of the year, with more than one involving fatalities.

“I am very afraid. There are many accidents here and I think there are ghosts here that take people’s lives,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked