Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Train derails, injuring operator and destroying two kitchens

Train derails, injuring operator and destroying two kitchens

Officials inspect the scene where a Royal Railways freight train crashed into another early yesterday morning, injuring a train operator, after a train stopped to transfer oil in Preah Sihanouk province. Photo supplied
Officials inspect the scene where a Royal Railways freight train crashed into another early yesterday morning, injuring a train operator, after a train stopped to transfer oil in Preah Sihanouk province. Photo supplied

Train derails, injuring operator and destroying two kitchens

A train operator was injured and two villagers’ kitchens were destroyed after a Royal Railways freight train derailed after crashing into another in Preah Sihanouk province’s Stung Hav district in the early hours of yesterday morning, according to local police.

Otres Commune Police Chief Nget Lorn said a 43-car freight train was travelling from Preah Sihanouk to Phnom Penh at about 12:30am when it stopped to transfer oil to a Tela petrol factory. The second train crashed into it after coming around a bend, he said.

“Both train operators could not see the railway clearly since the accident site is at a curved road,” Lorn said, adding that witnesses said there was also low visibility at the time due to heavy rain, and that the first train collided with nearby houses after being derailed.

Thiem Vannak, 42, and Neang Mai, 55, said their kitchens and a 2,500-litre water tank were destroyed in the crash but no one was hurt. The operator of the derailed train, 63-year-old Ros Chit, also required three stitches for a cut on his forehead, Lorn said.

Officials inspect the site of a train collision at a Tela facility on Tuesday in Preah Sihanouk’s Stung Hav district. Photo supplied
Officials inspect the site of a train collision at a Tela facility on Tuesday in Preah Sihanouk’s Stung Hav district. Photo supplied

Stung Hav District Traffic Police Chief Chuob Nara said that Royal Railways, which holds a 30-year licence to operate Cambodia’s railways, would compensate the families for the kitchen damage. “In this case, no one got hurt seriously,” Nara added.

A traffic police official in Stung Hav said rail staff had come at about 10:30am to take the train engine and cars for repair.

Several Royal Railways trains have been involved in collisions or derailed within the last year. Two men died in separate incidents earlier this year after they fell asleep on railroad tracks and were hit by Royal Railways trains after drinking heavily.

In January, three people were also injured in Preah Sihanouk after a passenger train crashed into a freight train. At the time, the train operator allegedly told police that the crash had been caused by faulty brakes, an account Royal Railways denied. Though an inquiry was promised, the results were never publicly announced.

Royal Railways CEO John Guiry could not be reached yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to

  • Mull ASEAN border opening, PM urges

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that ASEAN launch a scenario for gradually reopening cross-border travel and trade between countries in the region. He said ASEAN has had more success combating Covid-19 compared to other regions. The prime minister’s request was made at the

  • Ministry reports 11 new Covid-19 cases, reiterates vigilance

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has urged people to continue practising virus prevention techniques after 11 people tested positive for Covid-19 within two days after arriving in the Kingdom. Speaking on Sunday, Bun Heng stressed the importance of washing hands, wearing masks or scarves when

  • Koh Rong land ‘belongs to firm’

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration spokesperson Kheang Phearum told The Post on Sunday that the 35ha being bulldozed by Royal Group Co Ltd in Koh Rong belongs to it after it was leased to it for 99 years by the government in 2008. Phearum said the land does

  • Nine on Indonesia flight Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health on Saturday confirmed nine more imported cases of Covid-19. The nine ‒ eight Cambodians and one Indonesian, aged 22 to 26 ‒ arrived in Cambodia on Thursday via a direct flight from Indonesia and are receiving treatment at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hostipal in Phnom Penh.

  • Kingdom’s financial sector healthy

    Cambodia's financial sector remains on a sustainable growth path despite the Covid-19 pandemic squeezing crucial industries, National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) governor Chea Chanto said. Tourism, garments and footwear have borne the brunt of the Covid-19 impact, he said, whereas the financial and agriculture sectors

  • Vietnam told to remove border tents

    Kandal provincial governor Kong Sophoan has ordered local authorities to prohibit the construction of buildings in areas bordering Cambodia and to report any irregularities immediately. Recently, Vietnamese officials removed another seven tents from the border area with Cambodia. His remarks were made on Wednesday afternoon