Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Train hits truck on new northern line in Poipet



Train hits truck on new northern line in Poipet

A pickup truck collided with a train on Saturday in the border town of Poipet as the driver attempted to cross the tracks. Supplied
A pickup truck collided with a train on Saturday in the border town of Poipet as the driver attempted to cross the tracks. Supplied

Train hits truck on new northern line in Poipet

A man travelling in a pickup truck was slightly injured after his vehicle was struck by a train on the newly opened northern rail line in Banteay Meanchey’s Poipet town and pushed for about 50 metres before coming to a stop.

The incident occurred on Saturday morning in the border town when the train hit the Nissan pickup, which was being driven across the tracks by Chuon Sovann, said Chhoeun Buntha, Poipet town traffic police chief.

The crash caused Sovann to faint out of shock, Buntha said.

“However, the victim has not filed a complaint to demand for compensation and instead asked the police for his car to fix it himself, accepting it was his mistake for driving carelessly,” he said.

Sovann was taken to a Poipet hospital and his car impounded at the police station, Buntha said. He added that since the opening of the train line, another accident had occurred but resulted in no fatalities.

While passenger and freight operations have been running on the southern line from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville, construction is still ongoing for the northern section, with the passenger services commencing on 60 kilometres of track between Poipet and Mongkol Borey district earlier this month.

Provincial Governor Suon Bovor on Sunday appealed to residents to be careful while crossing the tracks and said train operators should try and signal villagers to warn them. Representatives from Royal Railways, the concessionaire in charge of the rail line, could not be reached on Sunday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants