Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tribunal faces detainee deadline

Tribunal faces detainee deadline

Tribunal faces detainee deadline

THE timeline for a possible indictment in the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s second case, announced last week as judges said they considered their investigation complete, was far from arbitrary: a failure to adhere to it could put the court in the difficult position of having to release Nuon Chea, Democratic Kampuchea’s Brother No 2, on bail.

Last week’s announcement set in place time frames during which the parties to the case may request and appeal decisions about further investigative actions. Though the progress of the case is subject to how the parties exercise their procedural rights, UN court spokesman Lars Olsen said Thursday that the co-investigating judges “will endeavour to issue a closing order in September of this year”.

The September target is especially significant with respect to Nuon Chea. The Khmer Rouge ideologue was arrested on September 19, 2007, at his home in Pailin. According to the UN-backed tribunal’s internal rules, suspects can be held for up to three years without an indictment before being released on bail. If delays hamper the process, therefore, Nuon Chea could briefly taste freedom in eight months’ time.

Anne Heindel, a legal adviser for the Documentation Centre of Cambodia, said she was “very sceptical” that a closing order would arrive by September, or even by November, when the three other regime leaders awaiting a first round of indictments reach their three-year detention marks. In a closing order, judges issue indictments or dismissals in a case.

“These challenges take a long time, these procedures take a long time – if they go as slowly as they did in the Duch case, I think that’s fairly optimistic,” Heindel said, referring to former S-21 prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, alias Duch. “You’ve got four accused here, so things are going to take exponentially longer to deal with.”

Lawyers at the court, however, said delays were unlikely.

Victor Koppe, Nuon Chea’s international co-lawyer, said that although the Case 002 investigation was “in no way finished”, he would be “highly surprised” if a closing order was not issued by September. “I think everything is being done to meet those deadlines,” he said.

Civil party lawyer Silke Studzinsky acknowledged that eight months is “not a lot of time considering what will happen until September”, but said she, too, was confident that the closing order would come on time.“I’m really convinced that they will comply with this deadline,” she said.

The investigation of Duch, the accused in the tribunal’s first case, ended on May 15, 2008, with a closing order issued in August of that year. The prison chief was held by a military court for eight years before transfer to the tribunal, an unlawful period that prosecutors cited as a factor in their decision to seek 40 years rather than life in prison for him.

Heather Ryan, a trial monitor for the Open Society Justice Initiative, said if the tribunal were to change its rules to allow for the detention of suspects past the three-year mark, “it would be open to attacks by the accused that their fundamental rights are not being respected”.

Heindel agreed that the court would be unwise to change its rules in the event of a delayed closing order, though she added that the suspects’ release would be “tremendously controversial” in the eyes of the Cambodian public.“There’d be a lot of confusion.... I just think it would be sort of unfathomable to people, and it’s hard to say how they’d respond,” she said.

Koppe dismissed these concerns, however, saying public order and the judicial process would not be compromised in the event of his client’s release.

“You can still have a proper trial and proper justice without someone being in custody,” he said, adding: “There’s no direct linkage between the two.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,