Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Troop strength beefed up in Siem Reap

Troop strength beefed up in Siem Reap

Troop strength beefed up in Siem Reap

E IGHT hundred troops were flown into Siem Reap on Sunday May 15 to re-inforce a

defensive perimeter around the town, which authorities believe the Khmer Rouge

are trying to capture.

As the Post went to press officials said they

were confident of thwarting any KR offensive well outside Siem Reap and the mood

seemed calm among townsfolk.

The re-inforcements bring government troop

strength around the town to 1,500. According to Siem Reap provincial police

commander Lieutenant-General Chea Sophat they face four Khmer Rouge divisions

totaling 640 troops, including men in the guerrillas' most elite units.

"Their aim is to take Puoc district so they can then occupy the airport,

thence Siem Reap town," said the police commander.

"But it's impossible

because their numbers are too small against the government

forces."

Despite the perceived threat from the guerrillas, Lt-Gen Sophat

said the level of fighting had been low in the last few days. In the worst

incident 150 guerrillas and 70 policemen clashed on May 8. Lt-Gen Sophat said

three KR troops, one policeman and a civilian died in the firefight at Chong-

can district in the province.

The UN advised its ex-pat staff in the

ILO, UNDP and Unesco to evacuate the town on May 12 and prior to the arrival of

the troop re-inforcements hotel staff were warned to prepare to defend their

buildings from an imminent attack.

A directive issued by the governor's

chief of cabinet, Uch Van Thol, said that due to "the urgent and necessary

situation of the province", including the "ferocious and wild activities of

Khmer Rouge guerrillas...all chiefs of hotels, departments and offices must be

ready to defend their own establishments...and check and prepare all weapons,

common or private belonging to the establishment and equip employees ready to

attack."

Only a handful of tourists were seen wandering around Siem Reap,

gateway to the Angkor temple complex, over the weekend. Alex Thomas, assistant

manager of the Grand Hotel, said the number of guests in his hotel had dropped

considerably after May 12, but added this period was commonly a lean

season.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman