Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Truck driver sent to court over motorcyclist death

Truck driver sent to court over motorcyclist death

Truck driver sent to court over motorcyclist death

Local authorities on Saturday sent a truck driver to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court over the death of a Cambodian-American man who hit an electricity pole while riding his motorbike, sending him under the vehicle’s wheels.

Phnom Penh Municipal police chief Sar Thet told The Post on Sunday that 19-year-old Minh Raksmey, from Kampong Speu’s province Kong Pisei district, was sent to court after the truck he was driving ran over and killed one person and injured another at 1pm on Friday on North Bridge Street in Sen Sok district’s O’Bek Ka’am commune.

“It is illegal. He drove carelessly causing the death of one person and injuring another. He has been sent to court,” he said.

O’Bek Ka’am police chief Neang Phally named the deceased as San Sophorn, 28, a Cambodian-American who had been in the Kingdom since December last year and staying with relatives in Sen Sok district’s Teuk Thla commune.

“I was not at the scene, but witnesses said the victim hit the [electricity pole]. The truck then dragged him around 50m,” he said.

Yoem Roth, O’Bek Ka’am commune chief, said that the large electricity poles on the street had frequently caused accidents in the past, with another person having been killed.

Rott Kham, a friend of the deceased, said on Sunday that Sophorn’s family is to travel from the US for his funeral this week.

“We have been through a lot since coming to Cambodia together. Me, you, Thuch, Klue always doing things together. You being gone really hurts so much, bro. Each and every one of us misses you . . . I can’t even think straight right now."

“It feels like a dream that I can’t wake up from . . .We are all gonna make sure your family is OK and find justice for you."

“In the afterlife, we are gonna meet again, my brother. RIP Sam Sophorn,” Kham wrote on Facebook.

MOST VIEWED

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges