Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tuk-tuks gain licence reprieve

Tuk-tuks gain licence reprieve

Tuk-tuks gain licence reprieve

091118_05
Tuk-tuk drivers wait for customers around Independence Monument during the Water Festival earlier this month.

CITY Hall has announced it will stop fining tuk-tuk drivers who lack licence plates until the end of the year, but a ban on tuk-tuks driving along Norodom Boulevard is set to remain in place.

“We will postpone the fining of tuk-tuk drivers without licence plates until December 30. After that, we will start to punish them again,” said Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Chreang Sophan.

The decision was prompted by a meeting between driver representatives and municipal officals on Monday, at which drivers asked authorities to temporarily stop fining those who lacked licence plates so that they could have time to obtain their plates.

They also asked the government to again permit tuk-tuks to drive along Norodom Boulevard south of the Independence Monument to Preah Monivong Bridge.

Kim Saphan, a driver representative, said it was difficult for drivers to get licence plates because of the US$35 fee and because supply did not meet demand.

“It is very hard for us to get a licence plate because there are a lot of tuk-tuk drivers who need it. But authorities can only issue it to 10 drivers at a time,” he said.

Nhem Saron, director of the Municipal Department of Public Works and Transport, said drivers must all respect the Land Traffic Law. “We did allow [tuk-tuks] to drive along Norodom Boulevard, but they did not respect" the law, he said.

City Hall cabinet chief Koet Chhe said the city did not allow tuk-tuks to drive along Norodom Boulevard because they wanted to keep roads clear for foreign delegations visiting Cambodia.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong