Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tuol Sleng Museum applies for registration with Unesco

Tuol Sleng Museum applies for registration with Unesco

Tuol Sleng Museum applies for registration with Unesco

3-STORY-1.jpg
3-STORY-1.jpg

Help sought from agency's Memory of the World Program to preserve photo, document archives, part of S-21 building

VANDY RATTANA

Tourists look at mug shots of inmates while visiting Tuol Sleng prison Tuesday.

THE notorious Tuol Sleng prison and its vast torture archive will be registered with Unesco's Memory of the World program by early 2009, a museum official told the Post Tuesday. 

Chey Sopheara, deputy director of the Department of Museums in charge of S-21, said the government submitted its application to help preserve the prison's archives as well as a part of the building to the United Nations agency last Friday.

The archive contains over 5,000 photographs of the more than 15,000 prisoners, as well as biographical records of Khmer Rouge officials and inmates, torture instruments and written confessions, said a copy of the application to Unesco's Memory of the World program.

While the S-21 building started out its life as one of Phnom Penh's secondary schools, the Khmer Rouge regime transformed it into the country's most notorious prisons after they captured the capital in April 1975.

"Undoubtedly crucial as evidence to be used in the forthcoming Khmer Rouge trial, the archive is also an essential part of Cambodia's recent history," the application said.

"We want the younger generations to know about the genocide that happened in Cambodia," said Chey Sopheara.

Samm Kalyan, from the Documentation Center of Cambodia (DC-Cam), said that registering S-21 with the Memory of the World project plays an important role in educating the world about Cambodia's "dark history".

The prison was run by Kaing Guek Eav, better known as Duch, who is among five Khmer Rouge leaders detained by the UN-backed court for crimes committed during the regime's 1975-79 rule. Duch's trial for crimes against humanity is expected to begin in October.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not