Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - TV anchor Meas says he was ‘just joking’ in rape remark



TV anchor Meas says he was ‘just joking’ in rape remark

Hang Meas TV Deputy Director General Meas Rithy yesterday offers what women’s rights advocates called an insincere apology for inflammatory comments on rape that caused a social media uproar. Photo supplied
Hang Meas TV Deputy Director General Meas Rithy yesterday offers what women’s rights advocates called an insincere apology for inflammatory comments on rape that caused a social media uproar. Photo supplied

TV anchor Meas says he was ‘just joking’ in rape remark

A local TV presenter under fire for comments he made on the air instructing rape victims to give in to assault rather than to fight their attackers yesterday offered an apology of sorts, saying he was only joking when he made the suggestion and intended for it to be “educational”.

Meas Rithy, who hosts Hang Meas TV’s popular morning show and is the deputy director general of the station, was criticised by women’s rights advocates for saying last week that women should not resist rape, advising them instead to just “let them rape you”, while commenting on the sexual assault and murder of an 18-year-old woman in Svay Rieng province.

Addressing outrage on social media, the presenter said he would apologise on air if he had hurt the feelings of women with his comments. In his on-air apology yesterday he said his comments were meant to educate women and had been said in jest, and that he did not mean that women should submit themselves to rape.

“We don’t really mean all women when they get raped that they need to be soft. I already said that I am just joking,” he said on the show.

Rithy also addressed suggestions made by his co-host, Ros Sotheavy, that women should not hire taxis alone but should instead use public transportation for their safety. He said he was only asking women to be careful and find a driver they trusted, and that they were speaking with “good intentions”.

Meas Rithy, a news anchor for Hang Meas TV, seen hosting the show where he made misogynistic comments about rape that caused a social media uproar. Photo supplied
Meas Rithy, a news anchor for Hang Meas TV, seen hosting the show where he made misogynistic comments about rape that caused a social media uproar. Photo supplied

Rithy couldn’t be reached yesterday. His comments follow the implementation in July of a code of conduct – signed by the Ministry of Women’s Affairs and Ministry of Information – for reporting on violence against women, which explicitly prevents victim shaming.

Women’s rights advocates yesterday were not placated by his apology, saying it was insincere.

Bun Rachana, who works at ActionAid, said the apology was riddled with excuses, and she was unable to comprehend how a brutal rape could be the subject of a joke.

“I just don’t understand what kind of joke is it when a person is murdered in a cruel way,” she said yesterday.

Rachana had started an online petition last week asking for both presenters to tender apologies for the comments and for Hang Meas to ensure that its reporters were sensitised to reporting on women’s issues, adding that she would send it to the station and to the Information Ministry.

Ros Sopheap, from Gender and Development for Cambodia, said his apology was meaningless.

“It really shows his understanding about women is very limited,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through