Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - TV journalist ‘attacked’ in Mondulkiri



TV journalist ‘attacked’ in Mondulkiri

Apsara Television journalist Doem Soeun, who alleges that timber traders forced him to delete photographs in Mondulkiri earlier this week. Photo supplied
Apsara Television journalist Doem Soeun, who alleges that timber traders forced him to delete photographs in Mondulkiri earlier this week. Photo supplied

TV journalist ‘attacked’ in Mondulkiri

A reporter for Apsara Television yesterday said he would file a complaint with Mondulkiri Provincial Court today alleging that illegal timber traders, a police officer among them, forced him to delete photographic evidence of their activities.

Journalist Doem Soeun said he received a tip-off on Saturday about large numbers of vehicles hauling timber to the home of Keo Seima district police officer Suos Rora at Sre Khtum commune’s Snerng village.

He said he contacted a provincial deputy prosecutor and the Forestry Administration’s district chief, who he said asked him to document the activity.

Soeun said that while doing as instructed, he was accosted by seven or eight Vietnamese labourers, who then grabbed his phone and deleted his photos.

District Forestry Administration chief Choy Sokheang said that following Soeun’s report, authorities raided Rora’s home and discovered 110 pieces of luxury timber, which was yet to be classified.

“If he does not want to solve the problem by paying a fine, we will ask the court for an arrest warrant,” Sokheang said.

Police officer Suos Rora could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Mondulkiri Provincial Court deputy prosecutor Chea Sovanthet, who is responsible for anti-logging activities in the province, declined to comment on the case.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could