Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Twist in legal fight

Twist in legal fight

Twist in legal fight

AN arrest warrant on charges of illegal confinement against Naly Pilorge, acting

director of human rights NGO Licadho, was used by Asian Orphan's Association (AOA)

lawyer Chhit Boravuth in a separate custody battle over 12 orphans seized during

a September 3 raid.

The arrest warrant relates to a February case - in which AOA has no interest - when

Licadho intervened over a six-year-old girl who had been beaten and whipped with

electrical wire. Her adoptive mother later admitted to the crime. The woman filed

suit against Licadho to regain custody of the girl, but failed.

"Licadho proceeded in the best interests of the child, proceeded legally and

cooperated with all relevant authorities," Pilorge said.

AOA has been engaged in court action against Licadho on matters involving an adoption

case. Boravuth showed the document to the Post and admitted he produced a copy of

the summons during a custody hearing over the orphans October 15. He denied his actions

were improper.

Pilorge questioned why Boravuth even had a copy of the summons.

"I'm not sure why any person would have access to a confidential document for

an unrelated case. We intend to write to the president of the Bar Association about

this," Pilorge said.

Bun Honn, secretary-general of the Bar Association, said that while it was permissible

for Boravuth to have the document, it was unethical to show it to anyone outside

the court.

But the judge in the torture case, Kong Seth, disagreed with this assessment. "This

is illegal - that is not his duty. If there is a legal complaint against this, then

I will investigate it."

Licadho was awarded custody of the girl in the torture case in February. The decision

was later ratified by the municipal court and the Ministry of Social Affairs.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The