Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Twisted Traveller nets 4th suspect

Twisted Traveller nets 4th suspect

Twisted Traveller nets 4th suspect

A 61-year-old man from Hawaii has become the fourth US national removed from Cambodia on suspicion of child sex crimes under an international law-enforcement operation targeting Americans who travel to Cambodia to exploit children for sex.

Richard David Mitchell was charged on Wednesday with engaging in illicit sexual conduct in a foreign country by a court in Hawaii. According to the affidavit, witnesses reported seeing Mitchell engaging in sex acts with a 13-year-old girl on the curb of a street in Phnom Penh in August 2008.

He was initially arrested by Cambodian police, but was returned to the US on September 5, where he was taken into custody by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents. If convicted, he faces up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to US$250,000.

"Child sex tourism is a scourge: adults preying on the young and vulnerable to satisfy their dark sexual desires," Wayne Wills, special agent in charge of the ICE Office of Investigations in Hawaii, was quoted as saying on the ICE Web site. "There can be no place for the abuse of foreign children by our citizens."

Mitchell was charged under an initiative dubbed Twisted Traveller. Led by ICE and the US Department of Justice, it specifically targets American sex offenders who travel to Cambodia to have sex with children.

Last week, three US nationals became the first to be charged under the initiative.

If convicted, they face jail terms of up to 30 years for each one of their victims.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Malaysian MP calls on his government to take stand on Cambodian elections

    A Malaysian parliamentarian raised concerns in his country on Wednesday about Cambodia’s July 29 national elections and urged his government to clarify its position on the subject, the Asean Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR) said on Thursday. Wong Chen, a member of the People’s

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not