Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two charged in Kampong Speu for illegal forest clearing

Two charged in Kampong Speu for illegal forest clearing

NGO director Chea Hean poses for a photo with seized timber in Kampong Speu province last year. Photo supplied
NGO director Chea Hean poses for a photo with seized timber in Kampong Speu province last year. Photo supplied

Two charged in Kampong Speu for illegal forest clearing

The director of Kampong Speu’s protected Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary and his predecessor have been charged with illegally clearing forest in a case dating back to 2013, and have been summoned to court for questioning.

Khorn Sokhun, director of the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary, and Chhun Chhie Heng, who is now office chief at the provincial Environment Department, are required to appear at the Kampong Speu Provincial Court on Wednesday or face arrest.

The pair is charged with “malicious denunciation and forestland clearing, and grabbing [land] for private ownership”, with the crimes having been committed in April 2013, according to the summons.

The charges stem from a lawsuit filed in 2013 by Chea Hean, director of the Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organization, who says he was falsely accused in 2010 of having cleared 100 hectares of forestland inside the sanctuary. In fact, he alleges, the land was cleared by Sokhun and Chhie Heng.

“They made up [information] that 100 hectares of land belonged to me,” he said.

Hean spent more than two years in pre-trial detention before he was found guilty on one of four charges he faced. He was finally released in 2013 after winning his appeal. Soon afterwards, he filed a lawsuit against 241 officials – including Sokhun and Chhie Heng – and villagers allegedly involved in illegal deforestation.

Hean’s countersuit stalled but his lawyer in 2016 urged the court to move forward with the case, which has finally resulted in the charges against Sokhun and Chhie Heng.

Chhie Heng declined to comment and Sokhun could not be reached.

They are being charged under articles 311 and 312 of the Criminal Code and articles 56 and 62 of the Law on Protected Areas. The summons, dated March 21, was signed by Investigating Judge Toung Putheara, who declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the