Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two dead in mine blast

Two dead in mine blast

Two dead in mine blast

TWO people were killed and six were injured when an excavator ran over a concealed anti-tank mine in Battambang province’s Sampov Loun district yesterday.

Long Chanra, the district police chief, said 27-year-old excavator Kok Ngov and Chea Cheat, 33, died in the blast. He said six others were also injured – four seriously – in the incident.

Heng Ratana, director of the Cambodian Mine Action Centre, which is working to clear the province of mines planted during the civil war of the 1980s and 1990s, said people had been living in the area of yesterday’s accident for over 10 years.

“The people who lived there had no idea there was an anti-tank mine right on their doorstep,” he said.

According to the Cambodia Mine-UXO Victim Information System, 260 people were injured and killed by explosive remnants of war to November this year, compared with 217  for the whole of 2009.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not