Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two dead in Pailin road accident

Two dead in Pailin road accident

Two dead in Pailin road accident

A horrific truck accident in Pailin province has claimed the life of a seven-year-old boy and a 20-year-old woman.

The child and woman were killed instantly, crushed to death when the truck they were travelling in, which was overloaded with cassava and eight other passengers, overturned on Tuesday at about 2:15pm.

According to police, the truck was travelling at high speeds along a small road in Stung Trang commune in Sala Krao district when the left front tyre burst, causing the truck to flip.

Of the eight other passengers in the truck, three – including the boy’s parents – were critically injured, while the other five received minor injuries.

According to a report released earlier this month by the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, the road death toll from January to June this year is 1,075.

To contact the reporter on this story: Phak Seangly at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Oil producers see oversupply

    Major oil producers said on Sunday that crude supply next year would outstrip demand, calling for new strategies based on production adjustments. Khalid al-Falih, Energy Minister of the world’s top supplier Saudi Arabia, said the kingdom would cut its production by 500,000 barrels per day (

  • ‘Historic’ Khmer Rouge tribunal Case 002/2 verdict to be delivered

    The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) are to deliver the verdict on Friday, in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, in a pronouncement hailed as a “historic event for Cambodia and the world”. The verdict from

  • Record set for world’s longest dragon boat

    Cambodia broke the world record for the longest dragon boat – a title previously held by China, Guinness World Records adjudicator Pravin Patel said on Monday. He verified the record on the east bank of the Mekong river, in Prey Veng province’s Peamro district. “With

  • Analyst: Government appointments ‘a waste of national budget’

    The government has appointed over 200 officials as undersecretaries of state, secretaries of state, assistants and advisers at various institutions since October 1. While senior officials said the appointments were aimed at ensuring higher efficiency at the national level, social analysts said the practice is merely power-sharing