Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two guilty, three free in drug case

Two guilty, three free in drug case

Nigerian nationals Paul Ani Nnbabuike, 30, (left) and Jude Obi Oyebuchukwu, 24, enter Phnom Penh Municipal Court
Nigerian nationals Paul Ani Nnbabuike, 30, (left) and Jude Obi Oyebuchukwu, 24, enter Phnom Penh Municipal Court. PHA LINA

Two guilty, three free in drug case

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court found two men, including a former publisher of a defunct pro-opposition newspaper, guilty of drug trafficking yesterday and sentenced them to six and eight years in prison.

Sierra Leone national John Philip Conteh, 33, was sentenced to eight years in prison and fined 10 million riel ($2,500).

Former publisher of Sid Serei Pheap Newspaper (The Freedom Newspaper), So Meng Hav, 62, was sentenced to six years in prison and fined 10 million riel.

Meng Hav and Conteh were arrested last year for selling drugs to an undercover agent of the anti-drug police force near Chroy Changvar Bridge in Chamkarmon district on September 25.

Following their arrest, police seized 270 grams of cocaine and 32 grams of marijuana from Conteh, also confiscating 300 grams of methamphetamines from Meng Hav.

Presiding Judge Kim Dany dropped charges against three men, two Nigerian nationals and one South African, citing a lack of evidence. “There was no evidence or proof of the involvement of Jude Obi Oyebuchukwu, 24; Paul Ani Nnbabuike, 30; or Leonard Amazodo, 29. All charges have been dropped and they are now free to go,” Dany said.

“I think the court’s decision was unjust, because [the sentence] was so high for me,” Conteh told the Post. “I was using the drugs, not selling the drugs.”

Last month during trial proceedings, Meng Hav claimed he used drugs to medicate chronic tuberculosis.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked