Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two held in 40kg drug bust in Phnom Penh

Two held in 40kg drug bust in Phnom Penh

Two held in 40kg drug bust in Phnom Penh

In what one officer dubbed the “biggest drug case of the year”, anti-drug police have confiscated more than 40 kilograms of drugs, including heroin and methamphetamine, from a pair of Chinese nationals in the capital’s Tuol Kork district.

The seizure, which took place over the course of two arrests – the first of which came on Thursday – included ecstasy pills, bottles of ketamine, heroin, methamphetamine and a yet-to-be tested substance that San Sothy, deputy director at the anti-drug department in the Interior Ministry, said is a likely precursor used in the manufacture of drugs.

“It is still not clear what the last substance is,” he said, confirming the nationality of the two suspects. “The suspects said the substance was used to produce ‘K’, which means ketamine.”

The duo sourced the drugs from Laos, and will be sent to court today, he added, refusing to divulge the names or additional details about the two individuals. “We have followed this case for five months. This is the biggest case we have for this year,” Sothy added.

Ngeng Chhuon, another deputy director at the anti-drug department, said police officials nabbed the first suspect outside a nightclub in Prampi Makara district on Thursday. That suspect then led them to a house in Tuol Kork, where they made the second arrest on the weekend.

“We have arrested the two people, but we are continuing [our investigation] into the provinces. We are now looking for the homeowner,” he said.

Meas Virith, secretary-general for National Authority for Combating Drugs (NACD), said he could not comment on the exact nature of the drugs as they had not been tested. He would only confirm that 40 kilograms of substances had been seized.

Also, the small bottles of ketamine that were confiscated, Virith said, looked like those used for medical purposes and had been purchased locally from markets.

Last week, the NACD reported a 70 percent increase in drug arrests from November 2015 to September 2016, as compared to the same period the previous year. These arrests netted 111 kilos of drugs, resulting in more than 3,400 drug cases sent to local courts.

Additional reporting by Ananth Baliga

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cross-border deal inked to maintain trade amid Covid-19

    Cambodia and Vietnam have agreed to allow cargo trailers to enter the common Bavet-Moc Bai border, located in Cambodia’ Svay Rieng province (Bavet) and Vietnam’s Tay Ninh province (Moc Bai) after movement restrictions were enforced to prevent a Covid-19 outbreak. The decision was made