Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two held for falsely promising jobs at ministries




Two held for falsely promising jobs at ministries

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Air Force Command logistics assistant Mey Phanith (left) and another 49-year-old suspect were arrested for swindling people out of tens of thousands of dollars with promises of induction into the military framework under the Ministry of National Defence. FACEBOOK

Two held for falsely promising jobs at ministries

A woman logistics officer from the Air Force Command was sent to court on Monday for swindling people out of 490 million riel ($120,000) with promises of induction into the military framework under the Ministry of National Defence.

A warrant issued by Phnom Penh Municipal Court prosecutor Khieu Phalla on July 31 ordered Mey Phanith, a 44-year-old logistics assistant at the Air Force Command, to appear for questioning by Thursday. The warrant identified the plaintiff as Sem Sitha.

Municipal police chief Sar Thet told The Post on Monday that Phanith was arrested on Sunday. “We sent her to court after questioning. Now it’s out of our hands,” he said.

Neither municipal court prosecutor Khieu Phalla nor Presiding Judge Yich Chheanavy could be reached for comment on Monday.

Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha confirmed to The Post on Monday that Phanith had allegedly pocketed more than $120,000 from some 20 victims who hoped to serve in the military framework under the ministry.

He said the alleged fraud began in February last year.

“She processed the paperwork for the victims to enter the army. This is an individual matter, nothing to do with the Air Force Command. We do not protect anyone who breaks the law as in her case. What she did was against the internal statutes of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF),” he said.

In a separate case, the Ministry of Interior detained a man on Saturday for swindling people out of more than 1.5 billion riel with promises of employment at the ministry.

Keng Sokun, the deputy chief of the Interior ministry’s penal police department, told The Post on Monday that the 49-year-old suspect had allegedly deceived his victims by claiming he had close relations with senior government officials.

“He has been summoned for clarification. If he is found to be involved with fraud and breach of trust as alleged, he has to face the court,” he said.

A warrant issued on Friday by Phnom Penh Municipal Court prosecutor Keo Sothea ordered the suspect to appear at the interior ministry’s penal police department by August 26 for questioning concerning fraud and breach of trust. The warrant identified the plaintiff as Mok Chanthy.

Sokun said police were hunting more suspects involved in the case. “Let the police handle it first. We are looking for more of his accomplices,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,