Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two held for trafficking rosewood in Ratanakkiri



Two held for trafficking rosewood in Ratanakkiri

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Forestry Administration officials took two people into custody in connection to the smuggling of more than five cubic metres of rosewood. Photo supplied

Two held for trafficking rosewood in Ratanakkiri

Ratanakkiri provincial officials on Sunday questioned two suspects at the provincial Forestry Administration headquarters in connection to the smuggling of more than five cubic metres of rosewood.

Authorities arrested the two suspects – a man and a woman – on July 30 in Kon Mom district’s Village 4 in Trapaing Chres commune.

The woman appeared to be the owner of the timber while the man acted as the driver, officials said.

Provincial Forestry Administration chief Keb Kort said on Sunday that officials were questioning the two while authorities searched for more suspects.

“We have not sent the case to court yet and I do not know when it will be sent. Now our officials are searching for others and working carefully on the case,” he said.

Nov Dara, the deputy police chief of the provincial bureau for combating economic crime, confirmed that two suspects had been arrested for trafficking first-grade timber.

He said the crackdown was carried out on the orders of provincial governor Thong Savun in collaboration with provincial court deputy prosecutor Leang Ou.

Dara said police arrested the suspects as the man was driving a truck. He said authorities compounded the truck and a milling machine among other evidence.

He said other workers were involved, but they had escaped. He said the owner of the site bought the prized timber from villagers and corrupt traders in the province to serve her business. But authorities confiscated the materials, arrested the owner and closed her worksite.

Kon Mom district governor Sek Hay on Sunday declined to comment on the case.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting