At least two Chinese nationals were injured when a fire swept through a furniture shop along Preah Monivong Boulevard on Wednesday.
Phnom Penh Fire Department Chief Prum Yorn told The Post the victims, Chen Ting, 32, and his wife Lin Juan, 31, owned the Royal Casa Furniture Shop in Boeung Keng Kang I commune.
“The two victims were immediately rushed to the hospital for treatment. So far, our team has not found the cause of the fire,” he said.
The fire caused complete damage to the two-storey concrete building and burned the furniture inside.
Twenty-nine fire engines from five units were dispatched, including 13 from the Phnom Penh Fire Department, four from the Ministry of Interior, six from Chroy Changvar town, one from Khmer Brewery and five from Koh Pich town.
It took two hours to put out the fire.
More than 500 houses and 225 buildings caught fire in the first six months of the year, killing 11 people and leaving 28 injured, said a report from the Ministry of Interior’s Fire Prevention Department.
Electrical faults caused 41 per cent of the fires and carelessness 39 per cent. The other 20 per cent are still under investigation, the report said.