Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two officials charged after beating woman



Two officials charged after beating woman

Por Sen Chey officials Sum Sovanrith, 30, and Sum Satya Punreay, 25, were charged on Friday with intentional violence for allegedly beating a woman following a traffic accident. Photo supplied
Por Sen Chey officials Sum Sovanrith, 30, and Sum Satya Punreay, 25, were charged on Friday with intentional violence for allegedly beating a woman following a traffic accident. Photo supplied

Two officials charged after beating woman

Two Por Sen Chey district officials were charged on Friday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for allegedly beating a woman following a traffic accident earlier this month.

Leng Vesna, Por Sen Chey district deputy police chief, yesterday said the two brothers – Sum Sovanrith, 30, and Sum Satya Punreay, 25 – were charged with intentional violence with aggravating circumstances under Article 218 of the Criminal Code.

If convicted, the pair could face two to five years in prison, and a fine of 4 million riel to 10 million riel, or close to $1,000 to $2,500.

Investigating Judge Kert Sang ordered that the suspects be taken to Prey Sar prison for pre-trial detention.

Victim Chhe Sophal, 27, who also alleged the pair was driving in a drunken manner, filed the complaint with police about her alleged beating. CCTV footage shows her riding away from the suspects after a minor collision and subsequent confrontation, only to be followed by the former officials and kicked off her motorbike by one of them.

Sophal last week withdrew her complaint after the brothers paid her $6,500 in compensation, saying she wanted to give them the “opportunity to correct themselves”, though district police officials said they would still send the case to court as it was a criminal matter.

Sang could not be reached for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and