Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two parties reject results of election



Two parties reject results of election

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Khmer Economic Development Party leader Huon Reach Chamroeun (right) debates with former Cambodia National Rescue Party president Kem Sokha (centre) at a political forum in 2013. Pha Lina

Two parties reject results of election

Two minor political parties have refused to accept the results of the Kingdom’s July 29 national elections. One has filed a complaint with the Constitutional Council demanding a recount, while the other has warned that it will lead demonstrations.

A National Election Committee (NEC) official said while the complaint was valid, it should not have been sent to the council, while the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) spokesman said the complaint went against the peoples’ will.

While the NEC is slated to announce preliminary results later this week and official results on August 15, unofficial calculations have shown that the CPP will control all 125 seats in the National Assembly.

Speaking on Sunday, CPP spokesman Sok Eysan urged opposition parties to learn “new strategies” before competing with his party.

Huon Reach Chamroeun, president of the Khmer Economic Development Party (KEDP), said during a press conference on Friday at its Phnom Penh headquarters that it demands the results are scrapped and the election be held again.

“The KEDP declines to accept the preliminary election results, and we demand the government inspect the election ballots again and organise another election,” he said.

In its statement, the KEDP claimed the voter turnout figure of over 82 per cent was fraudulent and claimed the CPP’s victory “was not real”.

“If there is no resolution and the government officially accepts the election result, the KEDP will demonstrate to deny it,” said Reach Chamroeun.

Similarly, the Reaksmey Khemera Party (RKP) last week filed a complaint with the Constitutional Council “to re-count the election ballots” in Kampong Thom, Kampong Speu, Kandal and Kampot provinces, claiming there were “irregularities”.

Additionally, Sin Sopheap, the RKP’s president has written eight letters to eight different embassies in Phnom Penh to inform them that his party “definitely will not accept ” the election results.

But Eysan said on Sunday that the election result showed his party was supported by the will of the Cambodian people.

“The election result is an expression of the right of the Cambodian people . . . it came from a democratic, liberal, multi-party election, which means the result is also democratic [even though the country will be led] by one party. This is the will of the people."

“People who lost should not be disappointed with the Cambodian people who own the country and its democracy. They should accept it. The landslide victory of the CPP reflects the failure of the competing parties."

“There is no question about it. It’s not too late for them to withdraw to learn new strategies,” Eysan said.

NEC deputy secretary-general Som Sorida told The Post on Sunday that denying the election results is a right of expression, but that submitting a complaint to the Constitutional Council instead of through the NEC is “not in accordance with legal procedure.”

He said even though some political parties have denied the election results, the NEC will proceed to announce the preliminary and official results as planned.

Sorida also said the threat of protests is due to misunderstanding the election process and legal matters.

“I think it is their right to express opinions . . . However, the right must be exercised in accordance with law and order,” he said.

He said complaints about the election results must go through the commune and provincial election committees before they reach the NEC.

“The NEC will issue the preliminary election results. This is the procedure. We will not wait for parties and answer to parties that accept or disregard the election results,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants