Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two years’ prison for China sex-slave sale

Two years’ prison for China sex-slave sale

Two years’ prison for China sex-slave sale

A Cambodian human trafficker was sentenced to two years in prison and ordered to pay $10,000 in compensation by Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday, after it found her guilty of arranging for two women to be sold to Chinese men as sex slaves.

Broker Bo Sina, 38, also known as Yann, and her 37-year-old husband were arrested in November following an investigation by the police’s intelligence division. The husband was later released without charge.

Judge Kor Vandy confirmed the charges against Sina.

One of the two victims, Hong Pisey, 19, said she was paraded around poor farming communities in China’s Jiangxi province and offered to men in the villages over a period of nine months.

“When I arrived in China, I was brought by car … to be sold to old Chinese men, from one house to another, in poor communities in Jiangxi province,” she said, adding that an ageing farmer bought her not long after she arrived.

“I was forced to have sex with him every day and night, and was also forced to work very hard from morning until evening,” she said.

“He also beat me almost every day, because I tried to stop him from having sex with me.”

Pisey is not alone in her experience – more and more women are being groomed by brokers across the country to be sent to China, with many ending up in forced marriages or as sex slaves, officials and rights groups say.

After repeatedly rejecting the first buyer’s advances, she was sold on after three months of torment to another man.

“When I lived with him, he considered me his sex slave. I was beaten and raped every day,” she said.

Another three months passed, and she was once more sold on to another man in the same province.

The rapes and beatings continued, she added, until she ran away and made her way to the Cambodian consulate in Guangzhou city, where staff arranged for her return to Cambodia.

Neither Sina nor her defence lawyer could be reached for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong