Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tycoon gets 30 months in jail



Tycoon gets 30 months in jail

Keo Sary is escorted into Phnom Penh Municipal Court by authorities
Keo Sary is escorted yesterday by authorities into Phnom Penh Municipal Court, where she was sentenced to two years in prison for illegal firearms possession. Hong Menea

Tycoon gets 30 months in jail

Tycoon Thong Sarath – accused of masterminding the murder of a rival businessman – was convicted of illegal weapons charges at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday along with his parents and a bodyguard who remains on the run.

Sarath, head of the Borey 999 development project and the prime suspect in the November shooting death of Shimmex Group chairman Ung Meng Cheu, was sentenced to 30 months in prison and fined 6 million riel ($1,500). His parents – Thong Chamroeun and Keo Sary – were each sentenced to two years and a 6 million riel fine.

Security guard Tan Sok received the same sentence as Sarath in absentia.

“The court sentenced Thong Sarath and Tan Sok to two years and six months each in prison . . . It has ordered the arrest of Tan Sok, so that he can be brought to serve the court’s verdict,” Phnom Penh Municipal judge Khy Chhae said yesterday. “The court sentenced Thong Chamroeun and Keo Sary to two years each.”

Late last year, authorities searching for Sarath turned up 15 weapons, including four AK-47s, in raids carried out on December 3 and December 21 at Sarath’s villa in Chamkarmon district and two villas in Meanchey district that belong to his parents.

Chamroeun and Sary were arrested on December 3. Sarath was arrested in Ho Chi Minh City on the night of April 16 after spending several months in hiding.

According to Meas Vanna, an official at the Ministry of National Defence, where Sarath once worked, the tycoon and his parents were licensed to own a total of 11 guns. However, the prosecution said that when cross-checked with the licences at the ministry, only two of the recovered guns matched the paperwork.

The tycoon’s arrest followed those of several of his bodyguards in the immediate aftermath of Meng Cheu’s shooting death outside a fruit shop on Sihanouk Boulevard in the capital’s Chamkarmon district on November 22. Meng Cheu – who, like Sarath, holds the title of oknha – was shot six times. After reviewing security camera footage of the murder, police said that a gunman and accomplice carried out the shooting and escaped on a motorbike.

A trial date for Sarath’s outstanding murder charge has yet to be set.

Outside court yesterday, Sarath’s attorney Chhun Vinita vowed to appeal the illegal weapons conviction.

“To find truth and justice in this case, my client will bring this to the Appeal Court soon,” Vinita said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese