Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tycoon interrogated

Tycoon interrogated

Thong Sarath leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court
Thong Sarath leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday afternoon after further questioning over the murder of Shimmex Group chairman Ung Meng Cheu last year. Pha Lina

Tycoon interrogated

Thong Sarath, the tycoon charged with masterminding the killing of Shimmex Group chairman Ung Meng Cheu, was questioned yesterday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

Investigating judge Ly Sok Leng said that Sarath, who was arrested in Vietnam on April 16 after almost five months on the run, was called to offer further details about his alleged crimes.

“I summonsed him for further questioning related to his use and holding of weapons inside his houses and the murder of Oknha Ung Meng Cheu,” he said.

Sok Leng declined to give further details yesterday, but said that questioning of the tycoon is “not completely finished yet”.

Following his arrest, the former Royal Cambodian Armed Forces major general and president of the Meanchey International Investment Company was swiftly charged with premeditated murder and possession of weapons.

The charges relate to the murder of Meng Cheu, who was shot dead on a busy Phnom Penh street on November 22.

Sarath’s lawyer Kea Eav said his client was called yesterday to elaborate on answers that he had given on the day of his arrest, which had been deemed inadequate.

Following his questioning, Sarath was sent back to Phnom Penh’s Prey Sar prison where he is being held in pre-trial detention alongside his parents and five bodyguards, who are allegedly implicated in the crimes.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will