Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UN Investigation Concludes KR Slayed Vietnamese Families



UN Investigation Concludes KR Slayed Vietnamese Families

UN Investigation Concludes KR Slayed Vietnamese Families

AP-A U.N. official called the brutal massacre last month of eight ethnic Vietnamese

in Kampot province a racist attack by Khmer Rouge guerillas.

"It was an anti-Vietnamese action," UNTAC Deputy Representative Behrooz

Sadry said.

A formal investigation by UNTAC's Civilian Police Component concluded that the July

21 assault was conducted by Khmer Rouge soldiers.

Twenty to thirty Khmer Rouge guerillas burst into Tuk Meas village and slayed two

Vietnamese families after failing to find a Vietnamese man they had been seeking,

Sadry said.

The Khmer Rouge, which Sadry said have been known to operate in the government-controlled

area, has repeatedly denied responsibility for the massacre.

At first it appeared government troops were to blame because U.N. officers said a

unit stationed nearby did nothing to stop the hour-long attack.

But Sadry said that witnesses' testimony and other evidence proved the government

soldiers did try to catch the assailants and that Khmer Rouge guerrillas were to

blame.

There are no specific suspects, so UNTAC cannot determine if the guerrillas were

acting on orders, Sadry said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,