Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UN, Licadho stopped from Oddar Meanchey dispute probe

UN, Licadho stopped from Oddar Meanchey dispute probe

UN, Licadho stopped from Oddar Meanchey dispute probe

Anlong Veng district authorities in Oddar Meanchey province on Wednesday allegedly prevented a civil society organisation and United Nations officials from investigating a land dispute involving 122 families living in Anlong commune.

The villagers have accused the authorities of grabbing their land illegally. Officials, however, claim that these people came and cleared land owned by the state, according to In Kongchit, a coordinator at NGO Licadho.

Kongchit confirmed that on Wednesday, he and two UN officials were blocked by Anlong Veng authorities from meeting the people and investigating the situation. He said it was illegal as they were prohibiting a civil society organisation from helping people.

“When we were preparing to meet the people, police, soldiers and Military Police, 15 in total, stopped us from going, saying we had not informed them in advance. They told us to go and meet the Anlong Veng district governor. I asked them about the land dispute as well, but they did not say anything, only telling me that these people had cleared state land,” Kongchit said.

Hor Chin Virakyuth, Anlong Veng district governor, told The Post that he invited the Licadho and UN officials to talk to them about the case. He echoed the police, saying the villagers had illegally cleared and taken control of state land without permission.

Chin Virakyuth said that the villagers had been given land in the past, but they keep demanding this specific area they have now taken.

“The authorities have not banned the UN officials and the Licadho employee, but rather invited them to discuss the problem first. They have already visited me and we had a discussion. Regarding the land dispute, I told them already, we have given some people money to move off of the land, but some have not accepted the money yet,” Chin Virakyuth confirmed.

Hoeu Hak, 30, representative of the 122 families involved in the land dispute over 400 hectares in O’tameng village, said the villagers have had possession of the land since 2006, and in 2013, one private company cleared and destroyed their crops by claiming that the land is reserved for them. The villagers filed a complaint to demand the land back, but the authorities ignored them and did not help to find a solution.

Lin could not be reached for comment on the allegations on Wednesday.

“At present, we, the families, live in fear of losing our farmland and houses. We might lose everything if the senior officials do not intervene and help us. We plead for [Minister of Land Management] Chea Sophara to help us,” Hak said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Capital-Poipet express rail project making headway

    The preliminary results of a feasibility study to upgrade the Phnom Penh-Poipet railway into Cambodia’s first express railway indicate that the project would cost more than $4 billion and would take around four years to complete. The study was carried out by China Road and

  • Thai boxers to join SEA Games’ Kun Khmer event

    The Cambodian SEA Games Organising Committee (CAMSOC) – together with the Kun Khmer International Federation (KKIF) and Khmer Boxing Federation – have achieved a “great success” by including Kun Khmer in the upcoming biennial multi-sports event on its home soil for the first time, said a senior

  • Bullets to bracelets: Siem Reap man makes waste from war wearable

    Jewellery is often made from valuable gemstones like emeralds or diamonds and precious metals like gold or silver, or valueless things like animal horns. But a man in Siem Reap has approached the manufacture of delicate pieces from a different angle. His unique form of

  • Second Hungary business forum set for H2

    Cambodia has asked Hungary to provide GSP- (Generalised System of Preferences) Plus facilities for when the Kingdom sheds its least-developed country (LDC) label, as the two countries prepare to hold a second business forum in the second half (H2) of this year to expand trade

  • 61% of 2022 imports came from just 3 markets

    The three largest exporters to Cambodia – mainland China, Vietnam and Thailand – accounted for 60.94 per cent of the Kingdom’s total merchandise imports last year, at $18.245 billion, which was up 11.99 per cent over 2021, according to the General Department of Customs and Excise. Cambodia’s total imports

  • CPP sets out five primary strategic goals for 2023-28

    The Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) on January 29 concluded its two-day extraordinary congress, setting the party’s priority goals for 2023-2028. The ruling party’s congress was attended by more than 3,000 members from across the Kingdom, including the members of the permanent and central committees,