Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Unemployed to get $40 per month



Unemployed to get $40 per month

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Labour and Vocational Training Ith Sam Heng has warned that employers who do not fill out unemployment forms will have to pay the $40. Hean Rangsey

Unemployed to get $40 per month

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts.

This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers and employees via Wing (Cambodia) Limited Specialised Bank.

On April 7, Prime Minister Hun Sen announced changes in the allowances for temporarily laid-off garment workers from receiving 60 per cent of the minimum wage to a flat $70. Of the figure, $40 will come from the government and $30 from factory employers.

Along with the change, the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia (GMAC) requested the ministry to issue concrete instructions around the procedure to give out the allowance. Some workers had claimed they had yet to receive the $40 from the government.

An instruction letter issued by the ministry dated on April 17 said for the government to provide the $40, employers or owners of factories, enterprises and establishments in the textile, garment and footwear sectors have to follow the procedure mandated by it.

The letter confirmed that employees in the tourism sector who are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Preah Sihanouk, Kep and Kampot provinces and out of work because hotels, guesthouses, restaurants and travel agencies were affected by the Covid-19 pandemic were subject to the same conditions.

“The dissemination and the notification of ID, personal phones or relatives’ phones are to be made widely and openly to suspended workers and employees for the ministry to transfer $40 a month via the bank,” it said.

The ministry also warned that in case owners of factories, enterprises and establishments failed to fulfil the instructions, they have to take responsibility for paying workers the $40 themselves.

Minister Ith Sam Heng also confirmed in a letter of instruction that when owners of enterprises in the garment and tourist sectors fulfilled all conditions when factory and enterprise owners announce a work suspension of seven to 10 days, workers would receive an allowance of $10 from their employers and $15 from the government.

He further said that in case businesses announce a work suspension of 10 to 20 days, workers will receive an allowance of $20 from their employers and $30 from the government. If a one-month work suspension is announced, workers will receive $30 from their employers and $40 from the government.

“After a 10-day employment contract suspension, workers and employers will receive a message on their phones from Wing informing them of the amount of money to be received.

“After receiving the notice, please take your Cambodian ID to secure your allowance from any Wing agent,” he said.

However, Sam Heng confirmed that in case workers failed to collaborate in providing documents and phone numbers, they will not receive the $40 from the government – meaning they would give up the allowances.

GMAC deputy secretary-general Kaing Monika could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

Cambodian Alliance of Trade Unions president Yang Sophorn said employers had previously failed to fill in documentation properly as per the procedure of the work suspension. “That’s why it made the government’s performance slow or non-existent,” she said.

She said she expects workers will receive their full allowances as decided by the government after the employers fill out the form.

“I think it can be implemented because companies want to get away from an obligation to pay workers money.

“But if they fail to fulfil the obligation of filling out the work suspension forms properly they will take responsibility for this problem. Workers participated in fulfilling their roles already since the ministry announced the collection of phone numbers,” she said.

Ministry spokesman Heng Sour said that as of mid-April more than 100 factories and enterprises had announced work suspensions citing a lack of raw materials or no orders for market exports.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen says Kingdom not a 'satellite country'

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said Cambodia had sent diplomatic notes to various embassies demonstrating its stance and clarifying allegations that the Kingdom is a satellite country of China which will allow it exclusive access to the Ream Naval Base in Preah Sihanouk province. The response

  • Vast Prince Manor fun park opens to much fanfare in Kandal

    Chinese-owned Prince Culture and Development Co Ltd officially launched the $85 million Prince Manor entertainment centre in Kandal province on Wednesday. Prince Manor is located along National Road 1, 20km from the centre of Phnom Penh. It is the first major theme park project in Cambodia and

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to