Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Union Development Group bulldozes crops



Union Development Group bulldozes crops

Union Development Group bulldozers destroyed crops and trees belonging to seven families in land disputes with the development firm in Koh Kong province’s Kiri Sakor district on Tuesday. adhoc
Union Development Group bulldozers destroyed crops and trees belonging to seven families in land disputes with the development firm in Koh Kong province’s Kiri Sakor district on Tuesday. adhoc

Union Development Group bulldozes crops

Union Development Group employees driving bulldozers allegedly tore down trees and destroyed the crops of seven families who have refused compensation from the Chinese development firm in Koh Kong’s Kiri Sakor district on Tuesday.

Peurng Loun, a 45-year-old villager who has lived in Koh Sdech commune since the end of the Khmer Rouge regime in 1979, said the bulldozers cleared the family’s coconut, mango and tamarind trees and threatened to destroy more.

“Last year, the company offered me compensation of $30,000 but I did not accept it ... because our livelihood depends on this land; it produces crops and fruits for us and I can do fishing, and it was given to me by my parents,” she said.

Like many villagers caught unawares by sweeping land rights reforms in the early 2000s, Loun does not have a land title.

UDG representatives could not be reached on Wednesday.

The Chinese firm is building a massive $3.8 billion tourism complex along the coast, sparking land disputes with hundreds of families. In February, 14 families in two neighbouring communes filed a court complaint against UDG security guards for burning their crops and huts.

Kiri Sakor District Deputy Police Chief Kim Socheat confirmed his forces were at the scene but said the company “only cleared the land of those families who already received compensation”. ''

However, Nheab Eurn, the Adhoc provincial coordinator in Koh Kong, said none of the families had accepted compensation. He said company representatives gave the villagers three days to leave or face having their homes torn down as well.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting