Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Union slams protest verdict

Union slams protest verdict

Union officials talk to the media yesterday outside the Svay Rieng Provincial Court before being sentenced to 13 months in prison for their involvement in blocking a road during a protest.
Union officials talk to the media yesterday outside the Svay Rieng Provincial Court before being sentenced to 13 months in prison for their involvement in blocking a road during a protest. Photo supplied

Union slams protest verdict

In a verdict denounced as unfair by their union leader, and pointedly compared to the same court’s kid-gloves handling of former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith, four union officials have been sentenced to 13 months in Svay Rieng provincial prison for blocking a road at a protest last year.

The four officials, all from the Collective Union of Movement of Workers (CUMW), were also fined 3 million riel ($735) each but have not been sent to prison yet, according to Pav Sina, president of the CUMW.

“We will file a complaint to the Appeal Court this week against the Svay Rieng provincial court’s verdict, but if the Appeal Court upholds this verdict, those four officials will be arrested and sent to jail,” he said.

Sina said the four officials were innocent of blocking the road on August 18 of last year, and were merely responding to a request for intervention from hundreds of protesting workers from Bavet town’s You Li International Garment factory.

“Hundreds of protesters blocked National Road 1, and our officials went down to convince them to open the road, but the police took pictures when my officials stood with the workers.

That’s why they accused us of provoking the workers to block the road,” said Sina.

Identified as Toun Saren, Suth Chet, Chea Oudom and Cham Samnang, the four CUMW officials were sentenced on Monday with provoking a criminal act.

Toun Saren, who is also the secretary-general of the CUMW, said he suspected the harsh sentences came from local authorities eager to crack down on the union.

“It was the local police officials who filed a complaint about us, because they do not like our union and they want to destroy our union in this province,” he said.

Pav Sina compared the case of the union officials to that of Bandith, the former Bavet governor who was convicted of “unintentional violence” and given an 18-month sentence for shooting into a crowd of striking garment workers with his pistol in 2012, injuring three women.

Bandith evaded arrest following his conviction in 2013 for more than two years, turning himself into authorities on Saturday.

“Chhouk Bandith tried to kill workers, but he got only 18 months in jail, and my officials tried to stop [workers] blocking the road, but they got 13 months in jail,” he said, pointing blame at Bavet town police chief Keo Kong.

Bandith’s case had been dropped entirely by the Svay Rieng provincial court at one point, only to later be reopened at the request of an Appeals Court prosecutor.

Sina said that if the original verdict against the four union leaders is upheld, he would lead a demonstration against the court in Svay Rieng.

Bavet police chief Keo Kong declined to comment yesterday. You Li International Garment could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this