Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Unlicensed recruitment company shut down



Unlicensed recruitment company shut down

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Workers from Elite Manpower and Ung Rithy Group arrive at the Phnom Penh airport last December to travel to Hong Kong for work as maids. Hong Menea

Unlicensed recruitment company shut down

The Ministry of Labour has shut down an unlicensed recruitment agency that allegedly lied about receiving a licence to send workers to Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and Japan.

In an announcement last Thursday, the ministry said CJ Labour Supply Co, Ltd had "lied and cheated the public" in announcing that they received a migrant worker recruiting licence from the ministry.

Few details were available about the agency, which was not included in the ministry's most recent list of 93 approved recruiting agencies or in the Ministry of Commerce's business registration database.

Labour Ministry spokesman Heng Sour did not respond to messages about the agency on Thursday.

Photos of a tax certificate allegedly used by CJ Labour Supply that surfaced on social media last week identified the owner as a man named Sun Seyha, but when contacted Thursday, Seyha denied knowledge of the company.

"I don’t own this company," he said in a message. "It’s my name and picture, but wrong company. If you want to get the confirmation, please go to the police station with me and ask them."

Labour rights advocates have previously criticised the government's track record on enforcing the law against unscrupulous recruitment agencies.

Moeun Tola, the executive director of Central, said it was hard for him to say whether the move was a positive one.

"They always just remove one small fish and leave the other big fish, violating the rights of workers and the law," Tola said.

Earlier this month, the ministry approved a licence for a new recruitment agency headed by a man who previously fled the country after the government found he was recruiting underage maids and detaining them illegally in jail-like training centres.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • SBI LY HOUR Bank Launches Cross Border Money Transfer Service between Cambodia and Vietnam on RippleNet, utilizing DLT

    SBI LY HOUR Bank Plc and Hanoi-based Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank (TPBank) on Friday launched the first Cambodia-Vietnam money transfer service in real currency via RippleNet, provided by SBI Ripple Asia Co Ltd to provide safe, fast and convenient services. SBI LY HOUR

  • Cambodia ready to exit LDC status

    Cambodia is well-prepared to minimise economic risks when it graduates from its Least Developed Countries status, according to a senior official at the Ministry of Commerce on May 7. Four LDCs – Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh and Nepal – met at a virtual workshop last week to explore potential

  • Nine US franchises eye Cambodia debut

    Nine famous US franchising companies are looking for business opportunities and expansion into Cambodia to build a footstep for a strong foundation in Southeast Asia. The US embassy in Phnom Penh, in partnership with the US Foreign Commercial Service and with support from the American

  • Nearly 2,000 detained for Phnom Penh curfew breach

    Nearly 2,000 people were detained in the capital for violating the curfew imposed by the government and Phnom Penh Municipal Administration. Municipal police spokesman San Sokseyha told The Post on May 16 that people were detained in two phases. In phase one, the government locked down Phnom

  • Jab drive announced for two more Phnom Penh districts

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration on May 15 announced a first-dose novel-coronavirus vaccination campaign for Boeung Keng Kang and Sen Sok districts from May 18-31, and a follow-up second-shot drive from June 1-15. Twenty vaccination sites have been set up in a combined 13 communes across both