Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Unworkable verdict for acid victim

Unworkable verdict for acid victim

Unworkable verdict for acid victim

A Kampong Cham provincial court judge ruled November 6 that acid attack victim Som

Rasmey could visit her young daughter, who is currently staying with her father at

a remote military camp near the Laos border. Frustrated human rights workers said

Judge Tith Sothy gave no indication of how to solve the practical difficulties any

visit would involve.

Meas Sokunthea from the Cambodian Defenders Project, who represented Rasmey, said

as she was too scared to venture out in public, she would be terrified of visiting

the camp.

"The judge's decision is very hollow," said Larissa Wakim, a human rights

worker who attended the hearing. "Som Rasmey has very little hope to visit.

The judge told her that she could visit the child, but [said] it was the work of

the local authorities to help Rasmey," said Wakim, saying it should fall to

the judge to enforce his ruling.

Wakim said the judge's decision was only based on article 75 of marriage and family

law, which states that: "The party that does not have the child shall have the

right for access to the child, and the party that has the child shall facilitate

the other party." She said the order should address the specific difficulties

Rasmey would encounter in trying to meet her daughter.

Rasmey's attacker, Minh Rinath, is married to Colonel Lim Sok Heng, who serves in

Military Region 2. Heng is Rasmey's former lover and father of the girl in the custody

hearing.

Rinath was convicted in absentia December last year of the attack, in which she hired

four women to hold Rasmey down and pour two bottles of hydrochloric acid over her

head and body. She received a two year suspended sentence for the attack.

Judge Sothy had postponed the visitation rights hearing July 4 after Rinath did not

turn up to the court. Rasmey's civil suit filed earlier this year against Rinath

has not yet been heard. In July this year Rasmey told the Post she had received 'indirect'

death threats from Rinath to drop the custody charge.

MOST VIEWED

  • Quarantine still a must for all arrivals, in next Covid chapter

    Since early May, an average of five to 10 Cambodian people have died from Covid-19 a day with many others testing positive amid the ongoing community outbreak. At the same time, however, hundreds of patients also recovered a day. The first Covid-19 case in Cambodia was

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • First commercial gold mine online

    Australian miner Renaissance Minerals (Cambodia) Ltd on June 21 began the commercial operation of its $120 million Okvau Gold Project in the northeastern province of Mondulkiri, becoming the Kingdom’s first gold producer. Located in the Okvau area in southwestern Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district, the

  • Jab drive heading to 5 provinces

    The government is set to vaccinate more than 1.2 million people in five provinces after finishing with Phnom Penh and neighbouring Kandal in an ongoing campaign administered by the ministries of Health and National Defence. The five provinces are Preah Sihanouk, Kampong Speu, Takeo, Kampong Cham

  • New immigration bill targets illegal foreigners in Kingdom

    General Department of Immigration (GDI) officials are discussing revisions to the new draft law on immigration to prevent foreigners from entering Cambodia illegally and to supervise those living in the Kingdom more effectively. The revisions draw wide support among civil society organisations. GDI director-general Kirth

  • Transport minister requests free trial of Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway

    The Ministry of Public Works and Transport held discussions with the company constructing the expressway from Phnom Penh to Preah Sihanouk province to allow drivers to test the road free of charge before an official toll is set. While inspecting the progress of its construction