Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US bomb uncovered

US bomb uncovered

A 250kg American MK82 bomb is eased onto the back of a vehicle after being discovered in Kandal’s Khsach Kandal district
A 250kg American MK82 bomb is eased onto the back of a vehicle after being discovered in Kandal’s Khsach Kandal district yesterday. PHOTO SUPPLIED

US bomb uncovered

A 250-kilogram piece of unexploded ordnance (UXO) left behind from the US’s extensive bombing campaign here was found on Saturday by construction workers digging in Kandal province’s Ksach Kandal district, and was safely removed yesterday, Cambodian Mine Action Centre authorities said.

Pen Sarith, the CMAC official in charge of UXO in Phnom Penh and Kandal province, said that CMAC experts had been sent to the site and removed the large bomb before it had a chance to detonate.

Tethers are attached to a 250kg American MK82 bomb before it is lifted onto the back of a Cambodian Mine Action Centre vehicle
Tethers are attached to a 250kg American MK82 bomb before it is lifted onto the back of a Cambodian Mine Action Centre vehicle following its discovery in Kandal province yesterday. PHOTO SUPPLIED

“It is an MK82 [bomb] made in the US, and it was left there since the war era. It was a bomb dropped by a plane, and it can still explode,” he said.

Ksach Kandal district police chief Nov Sokhorn said the bomb was found by workers excavating land within the compound of a factory owned by the 7NG company on Saturday. Upon receiving word of the discovery, he continued, district police officials went to examine and cordon off the site, and police reported the find to CMAC.

“It could have exploded if we drove a tractor or bulldozer over it,” Sokhorn said.

At least three people – all children – have been killed by UXO so far this year, and according to CMAC figures, 22 were killed by UXO in 2013, down from 43 in 2012.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Malaysian MP calls on his government to take stand on Cambodian elections

    A Malaysian parliamentarian raised concerns in his country on Wednesday about Cambodia’s July 29 national elections and urged his government to clarify its position on the subject, the Asean Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR) said on Thursday. Wong Chen, a member of the People’s

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not