Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US government to provide $425K for war-era cluster bomb clearance

US government to provide $425K for war-era cluster bomb clearance

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The US donated over $ 400,000 for cluster munitions clearance. Cambodian Mine Action Centre

US government to provide $425K for war-era cluster bomb clearance

The US government will provide an extra $425,000 to the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) for it to clear the remnants of cluster bombs dropped on eastern Cambodia 40 years ago and carry out research.

CMAC director-general Heng Ratana said on Wednesday that he had signed an agreement with Rune Kristian Dale-Andresen, the director of Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) in Cambodia, on the research project worth $425,000.

The project is to be supported by the US Department of State.

In early March, the US government provided $1.6 million in aid to help support CMAC in research and cluster bomb clearance in eastern Cambodia for 12 months from March 1 to February 28 next year.

The additional funds through the NPA mean the total aid to CMAC this year from the US government has reached $2.25 million.

“This additional sum serves to support research and the clearing of cluster bombs in 744 target villages in eastern Cambodia,” Ratana said.

This is the second year the research and clearing of cluster bombs have been carried out on 2,200ha of land in eastern Cambodia, for which CMAC received $1.6 million from the US government last year.

The US is a major donor of aid to Cambodia in the clearing of unexploded ordnance left from the war era.

Other nations that have provided aid to Cambodia for the clearing of explosive remnants of war include Australia, France, Japan and the UK, as well as the EU and other international agencies.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • First case of coronavirus reported in the Kingdom

    Cambodia reported its first case of the deadly 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) on Monday, Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng announced. He said medical specialists detected the virus in a Chinese tourist in Sihanoukville. The minister said Jia Jianhua, 60, travelled from Wuhan city, where the outbreak

  • PM urges precaution amid virus outbreak

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday called on all Cambodians to bump up precautions to avoid contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has already killed more than 50 people in China. The prime minister told the public to remain calm but alert about the possibility of

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • NBC’s digital payments to go live in next few months

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) will launch a Blockchain-based, peer-to-peer payment and money transfer platform in the next few months, its director-general Chea Serey told The Post on Monday. Dubbed ‘Project Bakong’, the scheme already has the support of 11 banks, with many more expected

  • Gov’t answers garment buyers’ complaint

    Some of the biggest buyers in the Kingdom’s garment sector have urged Prime Minister Hun Sen to address issues faced by unions and workers – a request a senior official said was out of touch with the situation on the ground. The letter addressed to