Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US investigators probe grenade massacre



US investigators probe grenade massacre

US investigators probe grenade massacre

UNITED STATES federal investigators have arrived in Cambodia to aid local police

piece together evidence of the recent grenade attack.

Three agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), including a composite

sketch expert, landed in Phnom Penh last week to assist the Ministry of Interior

in its probe into the Mar 30 attack, sources said.

"We have asked them to help us to investigate the whole incident," said

Khieu Sopheak, a spokesman for Interior. "We in the Royal Government of Cambodia

have a commitment to fight terrorism, and in doing so, we cooperate with the United

States and other governments."

The arrival of the FBI team follows a request made to Washington by the co-Ministers

of Interior, You Hockry and Sar Kheng, via US Embassy channels. According to sources,

they asked that a sketch artist be brought in to draw composites of suspects based

on eyewitness accounts.

"A sketch artist is among the investigators," confirmed an embassy spokeswoman.

"There are two others who are working in cooperation with the host government."

Citing the need to classify information while the investigation was still underway,

Sopheak declined to comment any further on the mission of the FBI agents, their expected

length of stay, and whether the local police investigation had yielded any leads

or possible suspects.

The Feds are also here because an American, Ron Abney, was among scores injured in

the grenade attack outside parliament that killed at least 12. The head of the local

chapter of the International Republican Institute, who was wounded by shrapnel, was

immediately evacuated from the country.

"The FBI investigates any incident of terrorism abroad in which Americans are

involved," the spokeswoman added. "In this case, they are here to investigate

the events surrounding Mr Abney's injuries."

Accompanied by police officials, on Tuesday the three agents inspected the site of

the attack, but brushed aside requests for comments.

Sources from both Funcinpec and CPP privately acknowledged that there was little

prospect of the Ministry of Interior investigation making significant progress.

"No-one trusts each other," said one official about the investigation team.

Another noted that eye-witnesses who could provide critical information were too

afraid to talk to anyone from the police or government.

"I know people don't trust the police. I work for the Ministry of Interior and

I don't trust the police," he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year