Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UXO kills man in Tbong Khmum, another dies in excavation accident

UXO kills man in Tbong Khmum, another dies in excavation accident

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The incident occurred when a 125mm artillery shell exploded, killing a blacksmith and injuring his four-year-old grandson in Tbong Khmum province’s Pich Thmor commune. Police

UXO kills man in Tbong Khmum, another dies in excavation accident

Tbong Khmum provincial authorities reported two deadly accidents last week – one involving an unexploded ordnance (UXO) and another involving a death during a mountain excavation.

The first incident occurred when a 125mm artillery shell exploded on Saturday morning, killing a blacksmith and injuring his four-year-old grandson in Tbong Khmum province’s Pich Thmor commune.

Speaking to The Post on Sunday, commune police chief Tim Neang said 59-year-old Pheap Phal had used the UXO as support during forging, a process in which blacksmiths shape metal objects.

“There are other blacksmiths in the area who use such bombs as support,” he said.

“Phal’s wife told the police that her husband had worked as a blacksmith for over 15 years and that he had often used the 125mm shell at work, but nothing had ever happened.”

Recounting the state of deceased’s body, Neang said Phal’s belly and upper legs were “shredded to pieces”, leaving only his lower legs and feet intact.

Meanwhile, Phal’s grandson, who was sitting about five metres away from him when the shell exploded, suffered minor head injuries.

After the accident, Neang added, he sent a report to the provincial police who later requested the local Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) investigate the cause of the explosion.

In response to the inquiry, Tbong Khmum-based CMAC officers explained that such artillery shells were dropped during the civil war. They noted that although the bombs had already been detonated, the shells could explode again when hit with strong impact.

‘Lack of data’

Neang said his team did not know the exact number of 125mm artillery shells left in the area due to a “lack of data”.

CMAC has previously issued an advisory urging people not to handle or tamper with any UXOs they might find, even if they have previously exploded.

In a separate incident in the province on Friday, a truck driver identified as 29-year-old Chum Ratana was killed at a mountain rock excavation station owned by China Road and Bridge Corporation in Chub commune.

Following an explosion, `the victim was struck on the head by falling rocks from the mountain, dying on the spot.

Deputy provincial police chief Chork Sok Kao told The Post that two suspects, Thai nationals, were arrested following the accident.

Theng Cheang, spokesperson for the Tbong Khmum provincial court, said on Sunday that the two suspects were being questioned by a prosecutor.

“The case has not reached the investigating judge,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said