Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vendors protest market revamp

Vendors protest market revamp

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Some 100 vendors at Century Plaza Market protest against the new development project. CSN

Vendors protest market revamp

Vendors at Century Plaza Market along Russian Boulevard in the capital’s Por Sen Chey district are collecting thumbprints for a petition calling on Prime Minister Hun Sen to rebuff a proposal to modernize the market.

The move came after some 100 vendors gathered in front of the market in Kakab I commune last week upon learning that the market would be dismantled to make way for redevelopment.

Sok Vannak, a poultry vendor there for nearly 13 years, told The Post on Monday that they would submit the petition to Hun Sen if there was no solution from the local authorities by Wednesday.

“Our only request is for the prime minister to allow us to sell goods at the same location. We don’t have any stalls, we rely only on baskets.

“Some of the vendors have borrowed money from [microfinance institutions] to rent a place on the sidewalk to sell their goods. If the market is modernised, what would they do?” he asked.

Another vendor who asked not to be named said because most of them were poor, they would not be able to afford rent at the proposed market.

“I do not oppose the redevelopment of the market. We also want to have a new place to sell but we will lose our income while it is dismantled and redeveloped. Who will help us make up for the loss? So we request the market not be dismantled,” he said.

There are 341 stalls at the market, but the number of vendors selling around the market is three times more than that of vendors with indoor stalls. The protesters said they had been given three months to vacate the venue.

The market manager could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Por Sen Chey district governor Hem Darith told The Post on Tuesday that the proposed market redevelopment would go ahead despite the protests.

He said the authorities were prepared to find a solution for the more than 300 stall owners, but would not shoulder responsibility for those selling around the market.

“Only vendors inside the market will be relocated to a temporary place nearby. When the new market redevelopment is completed, we will allow them to sell at their original place without taking any rent from them. But this applies only to those inside the market.

“There is only a small number of protesting vendors. They are just inciting other vendors. Who would protest having a new stall at the market?

“When the new market is ready, they can sell without paying any rent or fees. Monthly rent will only be collected five to six years after its inauguration, and it will only be $10 per month,” he said.

Darith said after redevelopment is completed, all stalls at the new market would increase in value and would thereby boost the vendors’ business.

He said the redevelopment would take two years and all vendors would temporarily relocate to a new location in a public park near the market.

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Europe expected to consider EBA efforts, impact

    The government said it expects the European Commission to consider its efforts to comply with the “Everything But Arms” (EBA) regulations and the impact on one million workers should access to the agreement be suspended in February. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation

  • Sri Lanka’s LOLC Holdings plans to sell Cambodian unit

    LOLC Holdings Plc, Sri Lanka’s second-largest publicly traded company by revenue, plans to sell its 70 per cent stake in Prasac Microfinance Institution Ltd, which also counts Hong Kong’s Bank of East Asia Ltd. as a shareholder, LOLC deputy chairman Ishara Nanayakkara said. Nanayakkara