Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vendors seek sacking of official

Vendors seek sacking of official

Vendors seek sacking of official

FORMER vendors at Siem Reap’s Phsar Leu market are calling on provincial authorities to sack the market’s director, accusing him of mismanagement.

Eang Saruon, a representative of the vendors, said they have sent a written complaint to provincial officials urging them to remove Sang Naren from his position.

The vendors say they do not trust the director after he decided in February to remove stalls stationed outside the market in order to construct new ones.

“The market director took over the street vendors around the market to sell their spaces to other vendors,” Eang Saruon said. “But this affected the vendors, who lost their [spaces].”

Sang Naren could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

Roughly 100 vendors who had been stationed around the market ended up being evicted, with authorities saying they needed room to make way for parking.

“This site should be used for parking cars, motorbikes and bicycles,” Oeun Pov, deputy governor of Siem Reap town, said at the time.

Eang Saruon said he was not optimistic that the new complaint would be addressed, because authorities did not heed an earlier request to halt the eviction.

“The provincial governor promised to resolve our problem, but I do not believe they can do this because those street vendors have already been kicked out,” he said.

Mao Vuthy, the deputy governor of Siem Reap province, said officials planned to address the issue, but would not do so until May.

“We will resolve this problem after the end of the Royal Ploughing ceremony,” he said, referring to the May 2 holiday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from